Thursday, September 26, 2013

Holga Out of the Box

I'm honored and excited that my photograph, "When you least expect it," will be included in the online portion of the Holga Out of the Box exhibition at TCC Photo Gallery, 207 N. Center Street, Longview, TX. The exhibit runs from October 3 through November 22, 2013.

The juror was teacher, writer, and photographer Ted Orland, who wrote one of my favorite descriptions of plastic camera photography:

"Ansel Adams was my first and only formal photography teacher, with the hardly surprising result that for the next few years, large-format B&W landscapes became my definition of fine art photography. It took me years to realize that I didn't actually lead a fine-grained life ... I still love the images I made in those early years, but where Ansel's world was monumental and sharply defined, my world has become increasingly quirky - and decidedly fuzzy around the edges. My ability to capture that world took a great leap forward in 1990 when I discovered the Holga ... Simply put, it sees the world the way I do." (Light Leaks Magazine, issue 18, p. 27).


You can view the online portion, and preview the gallery show, here. It includes stunning work by some of my favorite artists who use the Holga.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jacki. That's a superb image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Jim, and congratulations on your stunning work in the show, including that prize winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congrats Jacki!! It is a beautiful image, and I'm impressed every time, how well the Holga capture light. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marie! A plastic lens is a wonderful thing :-)

      Delete
  4. That pic is absolutely stunning! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete